Other Captivating Reports [OCR] – July 2013 edition
In Other Captivating Reports [OCR], you will find a round-up of recent news in the world of obstacle racing, as well as health and fitness. Peruse over coffee, but don’t forget to come back when you are done being captivated.
- Dozens of runners catch a contagious virus at Tough Mudder in Michigan. So I wonder… Will running earlier in the day minimize your exposure to others’ germs? Read more.
- Another sad day in OCR, as participant collapses at a Warrior Dash race an hour north of Toronto, and later dies. The death is attributed to a pre-existing health condition.
- The steepest race in Europe – you only have to run 400m. But it’s uphill. No, I mean REALLY uphill.
- Women’s Wimbledon Champion Marion Bartoli is deemed “too fat”. What the…? People, she is a tennis player. She is concerned with her performance, which is clearly stellar, not whether her curves are particularly appealing to your eyes. Sheesh…
- If you’ve seen my recent article on the top 10 extreme races to attempt, you are already familiar with the Barkley marathons. Did you know their motto was “Meaningless Suffering Without A Point”?. Learn more about “An Ultramarathon You Can’t Finish” in this recent article.
- More Barkley – Geoffrey Baker shares a brilliant collection of runner portraits before and after running the Barkley. Me thinks we should do that for the Death Race.
- Gina, a CrossFit owner and trainer, dissects what 157 pounds of woman look like. Hint: It doesn’t look like anything in particular. It’s a freaking number. Helloooo?
What’s been captivating you lately? Share in the comments section.