Muscle Chili Recipe
This recipe has been adapted from Scrawny to Brawny’s take on muscle-building chili. It’s touted as a protein packed and easy recipe for the boys, but protein packed + easy are both bonuses in my books too. So here it goes.
According to the original recipe, this makes 4 huge bowls. I wasn’t sure how big the bowls were, but I ended up with two buckets of this chili. I ain’t complaining though, because it freezes like a dream. If there is a flood tomorrow, I will have me tonnes of chili. And it’s awesome.
*This looks long, but chances are most of the spices are already in your pantry. 🙂
2 lb extra lean ground beef
2 medium sized red peppers
3 medium sized carrots
1 large onion
3 celery stalks
1 can chickpeas
1 can kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes
3 garlic cloves
2 cups of tomato or clamato juice
2 cups of chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
pepper to taste
1. Peel and clean the carrots, onions, and peppers. Wash the cilantro, and chop off the ends. Chop everything into 1/2 inch cubes.
2. Turn the stove top to medium heat, and heat up olive oil in the largest pan/pot you can find. When hot, add the chopped vegetables and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Open the cans of beans, drain and rinse in cold water. Open the diced tomatoes.
4. Add spices, beans, diced tomatoes and tomato juice.
5. Crumble the raw ground beef into the pot and add chopped cilantro and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
6. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to “simmer” and cook for an hour.
Shredded cheddar + cilantro on top! And yes, it thickens up after cooling.
Enjoy the protein punch.